379.2630976773: Jacoway, Elizabeth. Turn Away Thy Son: Little Rock, the Crisis that Shocked the Nation. New York: Free Press, 2007. 362 pp. ISBN 978-0-7432-9719-6.
- 300: Social Sciences
- 370: Education
- 379: Public policy issues in education
- 379.2: Specific polcy issues in public education
- 379.26: Educational equalization
- 379.263: School desegregation
- +0976773: Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, United States
In September 1957, nine students attended their first day at Little Rock Central High in Little Rock, Arkansas. Normally, this wouldn’t have made for national news, but these nine students were African-American and they were the first ones to ever attend this school. They were surrounded by a military escort and news cameras. Elizabeth Jacoway’s Turn Away Thy Son is an in-depth look at the political and social atmosphere that pervaded the decision to desegregate Arkansas schools.